A Dream Takes Flight



      My skins turning red from how many times I've had to pinch my self. We are home owners! I am continually in awe of experiences I've thought I'd never get to have or situations I thought I would never get through in one piece. But then there you are, on the other side. It's that same mystical, conundrum of time. In the moment things are moving slow, painful even. After it's over, it's like it happened on fast forward. How do you even process that? Well it's how I feel about being a homeowner. It is literally a dream come true for me. Not only have I always wanted a home to call my own but I want the land too. And a view. And a cabin. And it's all mine. 

       The dream of home ownership has been alive and impatiently thriving for as long as a can remember. The part where I actually own the home seems to have happened overnight. But in addition to that, I pity myself at all the pointless agony I put into worrying about it. You see, some people thought we were pretty "out there" or unwise to buy land out in the middle of nowhere. What about jobs, medical, emergencies, and God forbid NO CELL PHONE RECEPTION? On one hand my mind sided with that logic, on the other I flipped over to thinking "Screw this, I'm ready to jump in with two feet first". And so we did. What I mean to say in all of that, is sometimes fear can just be so stinking paralyzing. And it's nuts! 
      There are so many things we don't do out of fear. The funny thing is, now that we've actually bought the place, so many of those concerns are being taken care of on their own. Our wonderful families have stepped up, from offering to help move to saying they'll help build a barn. My employer for the time being is going to let me work from home counseling which is an enormous blessing. If I didn't know any better, I'd say God designed this plan himself. But you see, we were so close to not taking the move-out-to-the-middle-of-nowhere plunge. 


Isn't she stunning? I'm going to get to wake up to that view of Aeneas Valley every morning and I can't stand it. For years my dream has only be in "draft" phase, it's currently been sent off to the editor to iron out all those last minute details. Soon it will take flight. I have so many plans for this little piece of heaven from gardens to pastures to trail blazing with my equine companion. I've always traveled a little off the beaten path. I am enormously, grossly stubborn and I always have a plan. I've fearlessly pursued many of my dreams like getting married or pursing a career in counseling. But so far of all my dreams, this one has been the most fear-filled. I feel very proud that I jumped over that hurdle and went for it. The thought of being away from my family was haunting at first, I may have cried once while envisioning life without seeing my parents 5 days a week. But the truth is, my family is only 5 hours away and I have a hundred reasons to visit Kitsap. Now Kitsap will be a place I look forward to visiting, not one I plot and plan by the minute to ditch.

Comments

Popular Posts